Nutrition & Eating Real Foods
Where to shop for food
If you're a local food merchant and you're not on the list please email firstname.lastname@example.org to add you on the list.
- Seasonally: choose among an amazing selection of organic local farmers - best veggies in Moncton area.
- e.g. Broadfork Farm: locally grown organic veggies (seasonal only); www.broadforkfarm.com.
- Hofer’s German Bakery: offers a wide range of wheat alternative breads and bake goods made from organic spelt, kamut and rye flour (note: none of their options are gluten-free).
- Jamieson Beef (owned by Garry): free-range beef (antibiotic/hormone-free; but not organic) - excellent lean filet mignon and lean ground beef.
- Joe Caissie Seafood: great local Atlantic shrimp/scallops/crab/haddock.
- Nico's Bakery: gluten-free buns and whole grain gluten-free bread (note: some products contain dairy).
- Portage Pork Plus (owned by Arndt & Gabriele Becker; 577-4709). Grass-fed lamb. Naturally raised pork (antibiotic/hormone-free; but not organic).
- Spring Brook Farm (506) 523-6432: turkey breast; chicken; apple-finished pork (all products are antibiotic/hormone-free; but not organic).
- Vital Source Nutrition (see info below): organic sprouts (great for sandwich toppings).
- Others…see Dieppe Market website for more venders.
Moncton Market: lot's of different food venders...such as:
- HopeFarm (owned by Reiner Zimmermann; 785-4441): organic vegetables, organic pasta, and organic eggs and meat. Winterbox and veggie box (summer) available.
Costco: organic olive oil, organic chicken, organic ground beef, frozen wild Alaskan salmon, organic Sumatra coffee (as coffee is high in pesticides), almonds/pecans/walnuts/hazelnuts (although not organic), gluten-free pasta, gluten-free crackers, organic salsa, pesticide free frozen blueberries, Epson salt, etc…
Corn Crib (Health Food Stores): health conscious foods (organic, gluten-free, less processed, etc…). Great choices here include: gluten-free flours, quinoa pasta, miso spread, organic spices, organic whole flax & pumpkin seeds, etc...
David & Murray Bunnett Family Farm: organic grass fed beef, free-range organic chicken and turkey, organic sausage, organic flour, organic free-range eggs, organic pumpkin seeds and local organic flax seeds. For chicken/turkey orders - arrange during Spring time each year to order & pick-up during late summer and Fall. Can make individual orders: 506-534-2262 or email@example.com. www.davidbunnettfamilyfarm.com. Every 1 month they drop off your order at Dolma Food Store in Dieppe.
Dolma Food Store (Moncton & Dieppe): great choices for local and international foods. Organic produce (seasonal), pre-prepared meal options and locally derived meats are available.
Nico's Bakery Café (204-7035, 19 Biggs Drive, Riverview; or at Dieppe Market on Saturdays): a good whole grain gluten free bread.
Sequoia Whole Foods (Health Food Stores): health conscious foods (organic, gluten-free, less processed, etc…). Fresh organic veggies arrive at the store on Tuesday mornings (call ahead as shipment may be delayed).
St. No-Where Organics (506-785-1805, firstname.lastname@example.org): locally made organic honey and creams.
Superstore & Sobeys: rice wraps (organic freezer section), goat cheese/yogurt, non-dairy milk, organic teas, organic pumpkin/flax seeds, organic pumpkin seed butter, organic veggies & fruits (hit & miss; but usually carrots, apples, bananas are available), other health conscious foods (organic, gluten-free, less processed etc…), canned wild salmon Raincoast Trading (in organic section), etc...
The Farmers' Truck: mobile famers market selling all fresh and local produce and products according to the seasons. Organic selection available. Check out their website for more info and truck locations. www.thefarmerstruck.com
Fill out a diet diary via the Doc's Diet Diary (free iPhone and Android app).
Dairy-free diet: foods/ingredients that contain dairy.
Fish & seafoods to avoid that are high in mercury: see this Mercury in Fish Wallet Card.
The True Food Shopper's Guide to Avoiding GMOs
Books about healthy eating
Great cookbooks sold at our clinic
- The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook: Whole Foods Recipes for Personal and Planetary Health, by Alissa Segersten and Tom Malterre MS CN.
- The Nourishing Meals Cookbook. Also by Alissa Segersten and Tom Malterre MS CN.
- Wheat-Free Dairy-Free Recipes. By Rita Mustafa, a local holistic nutritionist.
Great books about food choices
- In Defense of Food; An Eater's Manifesto. By Michael Pollan.
- The Omnivore's Dilemma; A Natural History of Four Meals. By Michael Pollan.